TreeUtah Fall 2017 Environmental Education Internship
This internship will provide the student with professional non-profit experience. The intern will gain a variety of hands-on experiences in the areas of social media, environmental education, tree planting, land management and volunteer management. The intern will assist with projects related to the urban and community forest program, and in developing and implementing a variety of environmental education for both young people and adults.
Duties and Responsibilities
The job includes but is not limited to the following:
Tree Planting and Education
• Assist Volunteer and Planting Coordinators to plan and manage tree plantings and EcoGarden
• Assist Environmental Education Coordinator to facilitate programs in both school and outdoor settings
• Serve as a good role model in personal language, appearance and behavior for youth participants
Outreach & Administration
• Create a Social Media schedule, posting to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram on a weekly basis
• Do community outreach which may include presentations to the public and staffing tables at events
• Assist with office projects as needed (e.g. special event coordination, answering phones, writing newsletter articles, and creating outreach and educational materials)
• Ability to educate, direct and interact with groups of people from small children to professional adults
• Equally comfortable working both outside and in professional office settings• Ability to work confidently as part of a team and independently• Ability to take initiative and follow through on tasks
• Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office software Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and undertake moderately strenuous physical activities, even in extreme temperatures and inclement weather
• Experience working with groups of school age children and adults in an educational setting
Hours and Scheduling
• Hours/week flexible depending upon availability• Potentially be able to commit to at least 2 weekdays, some evenings and Saturdays, exact schedule to be discussed and determined during interview and hiring
CompensationThis is an unpaid internship which may be eligible for credit or fulfillment of school requirements depending upon the student and the school. TreeUtah will pay for the intern’s required background check.
Interested applicants should submit: (1) A 1 page cover letter (2) A resume (3) TreeUtah’s Volunteer Application (4) 3 References to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible by phone and/or in person in order to select intern(s) as quickly as possible.
Questions can be directed to: Planting Coordinator Nate Orbock at email@example.com or by calling (801) 364-2122.