TreeUtah is a statewide 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Our mission is to improve Utah’s quality of life for present and future generations by enhancing the environment through tree planting, stewardship and education.
This internship will provide the student with professional non-profit experience. The intern will gain a variety of hands-on experiences in the areas of environmental education, tree planting, community engagement and volunteer management. The intern will assist with projects related to the urban and community forest program, and in developing and implementing a variety of environmental education for both young people and adults.
Duties and Responsibilities
The job includes but is not limited to the following:
- Assist Volunteer and Planting Coordinators to plan and implement tree plantings and other volunteer opportunities.
- Assist Environmental Education Coordinator to facilitate programs in both school and outdoor settings
- Willingness to be our 8 foot tall mascot, Carrie Cottonwood for up to 1 hour at a time
- Serve as a good role model in personal language, appearance and behavior.
- Do community outreach which may include presentations to the public and staffing tables at events.
- Assist with office projects as needed (e.g. special event coordination, answering phones, writing newsletter articles, and creating outreach and educational materials)
- Ability to educate, direct and interact with groups of people from small children to professional adults
- Equally comfortable working both outside and in professional office settings
- Ability to work confidently as part of a team and independently
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and undertake moderately strenuous physical activities, even in inclement weather
- Experience working with groups of school age children and adults in an educational setting
Hours and Scheduling:
• Hours/week flexible depending upon availability
- Potentially be able to commit to at least 2 weekdays, some evenings and Saturdays, exact schedule to be discussed and determined during interview and hiring
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship but intern will receive school credit for internship through intern’s affiliate institution. TreeUtah will pay for the intern’s required background check.
Interested applicants should submit: (1) A 1 page cover letter (2) A resume (3) TreeUtah’s Volunteer Application (4) 3 References to email@example.com. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible by phone and/or in person. Position is open until filled.
Questions can be directed to: Education Coordinator Arly@treeutah.org or by calling (801) 364-2122. Thank you for your interest in working with TreeUtah!
EcoGarden Permaculture Internship
The ecogarden coordinator will manage the Ecogarden, a permaculture orchard located by the Day Riverside Library in Rose Parks for the fall semester. The intern will be responsible for coordinating 3 volunteer events in the garden and will have freedom and autonomy to beautify the property. Hours are very flexible. The ideal applicant will be self motivated, problem-based thinker with some gardening experience; Serve as a good role model in personal language, appearance and behavior in representing TreeUtah; comfortable recruiting and managing volunteers.
Compensation: This is an unpaid internship which may be eligible for credit or fulfillment of school requirements depending upon the student and the school. TreeUtah will pay for the intern’s required background check.
Interested applicants should submit: (1) A 1 page cover letter (2) A resume (3) TreeUtah’s Volunteer Application (4) 3 References to firstname.lastname@example.org. Interviews will be conducted as soon as possible by phone and/or in person in order to select intern(s) as quickly as possible.
Questions can be directed to: Education Coordinator Arly@treeutah.org or by calling (801) 364-2122.